Just Do It!
A lot of us are procrastinators! We'll do things we like, and keep putting off the other boring ones. For some of these tasks, tomorrow never comes. More often than not, these are simple, 5-10 minute tasks. They are insignificant enough to ignore for now, but important enough to not completely push them off our to-do lists. The longer we postpone them, the bigger they seem to get.
One very common example is mail! I get so many things in the mail that simply need to be filed away. That's all I have to do with them. Open them, read them, put them away. And since it is such a small, boring task, I have a big pile of mail! The bigger the pile gets, the more impossible the task of sorting it out seems! A task which was once going to take only 2 minutes will now probably take 2 hours!
And since I know in the back of my mind that I have this pile to sort out, I feel guilty about doing other leisurely things like reading a book for some time. The guilt is very valid, there IS work to get done! And so the cycle continues. I cannot enjoy my leisure because there's this nagging thought about the mail in my head. And I won't do it because its boring, and by now its taken on a life of its own, and become a big task!
There are quite a few such examples we all encounter everyday. The easy way out would be to just do it! Right there, right then! Get it over with. Make it a thing of the past!
Make it a habit to take care of these mundane things right away and see how much easier you breathe! How much spare time you have! Remember that old saying,
"A stitch in time, saves nine"?
How true it is!
And now for today's blessings...
Today I am grateful...
- For the opportunities presented to me everyday...for correcting my mistakes, and for doing things I want to
- For the fact that I am not poor! I saw this kids' picture on a photoblog. Was a small boy who had rough hands because he had to work hard to get his next meal!
- For the fact that there are organizations out there that help me help kids like him! (It still breaks my heart that these kids have such a life...through no mistake of theirs!)
- For my sister :-) She left yesterday while I was still at work. House was a mess since there were 6 of us, including 2 kids, living in a small space, and I was not looking forward to the mess. She left it spick and span :) God bless her for doing this for me!
- That this blog of mine is actually helping folks feel happy :) That means a great deal to me!